Field & Stream Hero-For-a-Day Project Completed
Field & Stream “Hero-for-a-Day” Project
South Platte Erosion Control
Was successfully completed FRIDAY MAY 18, 2012
Thanks to our 25 hardworking volunteers from three local Trout Unlimited Chapters and the film crew from Field & Stream, the South Platte Erosion Control project at Trail Creek was completed and exceeded expectations for the day. During the six hour work day, 750 native willow shoots were prepared and planted above an erosion control structure located at the confluence of two large ephemeral draws. These hearty willows will quickly root and establish a structure that both absorbs the energy form runoff water and prevents further erosion in the draws. In addition over 100 Ponderosa Pine seedlings were strategically planted along the banks of the draws to further stabilize the soil. These plantings will prevent sedimentation from reaching Trail Creek and ultimately the South Platte River.
This effort was organized in conjunction with the Coalition for the Upper South Platte (CUSP) and the National Forest Foundation and is one of Field & Stream magazine’s ten national Hero-for-a-Day Conservation projects. Video coverage of this program will be posted shortly on the Field & Stream website: http://www.fieldandstream.com/hero-for-a-day.
This event was co-sponsored by Field & Stream and Toyota who provided thank you gift bags to all volunteers. In addition, all participants 18 years are eligible for the Hero-for-a-Day Sweepstakes. The winner will receive a trip to the Heroes of Conservation Gala in Washington DC as well as a fishing trip along the Potomac River!
Again, I would like to sincerely thank the volunteers who came out on a weekday to work hard and support this program. The Cutthroat Chapter is grateful for the support of the Denver and Cheyenne Mountain Chapters in this effort.
The work was not easy but it was very rewarding and in the end makes for many happy fish!
Director, Conservation, Preservation and Restoration
Cutthroat Chapter, Trout Unlimited
Stay Up to Date
Stay in the loop by signing up here.
Get the Newsletter
Explore the Site
- Hidden Treasure Mine Decommissioning and Rehabilitating Project, Saturday, August 23, 2014
- 2014 South Platte River Cleanup - a HUGE success!
- Calling all volunteers!
- 2014 South Platte River Clean Up at Deckers July 12
- Trout Unlimited Cutthroat Chapter South Platte River Cleanup Workday: Saturday, July 12th, 2014
- July 15th Meeting
- 2014 Conservation Project Schedule Update
- Colorado High School Teacher Wins National Conservation Award
- Even More Willows Planted on Horse Creek has 4 comments
- Frying Pan Fishing Fun - Sept 16/19 has 3 comments
- San Juan River Fishing Trip October 26-30. has 3 comments
- Protect Our Rivers License Plate has 2 comments
- Auction Item-Flies Flies Flies has 2 comments
- Jim Klug named CUSP "Winter Watershed Hero" has 2 comments
- Dorsey’s Mercury Cased Caddis has 2 comments
- Sept. 20th Meeting – Jeff Spohn “State of the So. Platte River” has 1 comments